Is the money taxable in USA, when I get my loan back from someone I lend my money overseas?

If you do not have any loan documents, the money you receive will be treated as a Gift. If the money you receive is in the form of a gift, it will be 100% tax free, if it does not exceed the annual exclusion limit. You are not subjected to any taxes but you are required to report the money to the IRS if it is more than USD100,000, or received any interest from the loan or received from a non resident.

If you have the loan document, US taxes on the interest will be applicable even if there is no interest received.

You may be subjected to gift tax in the US.

Discuss with your tax advisor or consult a CPA or tax attorney for any tax related questions.

Most Viewed Q&A

Related Articles

Go Mobile

Get the Best Exchange Rates, Important Remittance Information and
Special Promotion Alerts on the go! Download Our Mobile App on your Smartphone or Smartwatch.

google play apple app store

Get Listed or Advertise

Download Our Free App

Try our faster, enhanced mobile app for a better experience

CompareRemit App